8 Memorable Ideas for Winter Fun in the Capital Region
Whether you’re visiting from out-of-town and staying in our beautiful hotel or reside in our community year-round, enjoy winter in the Capital Region with its abundance of things to do! Guests of The Century House are encouraged to try snowshoeing on our nature trail, enjoy fireside dining in our Federal-style restaurant, or relax in our tavern during Happy Hour with a locally-brewed craft beer or seasonal cocktail. If you’re looking to take in all that this area has to offer, check out these festive activities happening around town:
1. Ice Skating at the Empire State Plaza -
Now in its 6th year, the tremendously popular Empire State Plaza Ice Rink is open daily December 2 through March 12, from 11 a.m. – 8 p.m. (closed for maintenance from 3 p.m. - 4 p.m.) and skating is free. Skate rentals are available. To learn more, visit http://www.albany.com/event/empire-skate-plaza-66645/.
2. Snowtubing -
A handful of ski mountain resorts also offer tubing, including West Mountain in the Southern Adirondacks, Willard Mountain in Greenwich, and Windham Mountain in the Catskills. You can also take a trip to Tubby Tubes Snow Park in Lake Luzerne.
3. Skiing -
From the Adirondacks and Catskills to family ski resorts just minutes from Albany, the Capital Region is perfectly situated for downhill skiing, cross-country skiing, and snowboarding! To learn more, visit http://www.albany.com/winter/.
5. Museums – From Art and History to Science and Technology, the Capital Region offers an abundance of museums to please just about all ages and interests! Check out the NYS Museum, National Dance Museum in Saratoga, Museum of Innovation and Science in Schenectady, Albany Institute of History & Art, or the Children’s Museum of Science and Technology. And just a short drive will take you to the Massachusetts Museum of Contemporary Art.
6. Albany Chefs' Food & Wine Festival, January 12-14, 2017 - Taste delicious offerings from local talent at the Albany Chefs' Food & Wine Festival! Enjoy a full weekend of food-related events and competitions.
7. Times Union Home Expo, February 10–12, 2017 – For home improvement and remodeling, find new products, helpful hints, fresh ideas and even great deals with hundreds of experts. And the best thing is that they’re all under one roof!
8. Troy Night Out – Last Friday of each month - Arts and cultural event that regularly draws thousands of people onto the streets of Downtown Troy. Attendees are able to enjoy countless art events, music venues, fine restaurants as well as unique boutiques of all varieties.